Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Week 5: Wikis

I looked at all the wikis. The SJCPL Subject Guide is very big on content with lots of pages to navigate to find what interests you. I searched for Robert E Lee in the Wisconsin Heritage Wiki and it gave me 8 entries that were scanned pages or books, but there was no immediate reference to him in the description fields, so I'd have to go through every book page to find him. The Mint Museums looks like a normal web page. The full Library Success was ok as I could easily see the edit button, so I knew it was a wiki. Book Lovers Wiki was a closed wiki so of no use to anyone but the members. Montana History Wiki wasn't open for editing, so how is that a wiki? And Wookieepedia was just too silly.

Who on the library staff would be assigned the job of maintaining the wiki? It would be very time consuming as it would need constant monitoring and updating.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

I think you have to decide if a wiki is an approach you want to use.

Ellen